See how Digital Ocean saves 1,000s of developer hours with OpenTracing and LightstepLearn more
Trusted by top-performing teams
OpenTracing and Lightstep
- Own Your Data. Switch to and from any other OpenTracing-compatible tracing visualization and analysis solution without changing your instrumentation.
- Integrated Everywhere. Integrate with virtually anything — proxies, service meshes, and common languages and frameworks, such as Java, Flask, Ruby, C#, Go, and Swift.
- No Sampling. Lightstep’s unique Satellite Architecture collects 100% of your tracing data — including data from mobile apps, web clients, and serverless — offering end-to-end visibility into every aspect of your application.
- Traces Transformed. Aggregate, analyze, and visualize thousands of traces in order to answer specific, high-value questions about the health of your services or system.
- Faster Firefighting. Quickly identify the services, dependencies, and teams responsible for slowness, errors, or other issues that cross service boundaries.
- Performance Optimization. Know which optimization efforts will improve availability and performance, and where cycles would otherwise be wasted. Analyze how performance changes over time — whether it’s a SQL query or all microservice requests for a customer.
What is OpenTracing?
OpenTracing is a standard for vendor-neutral APIs and instrumentation for distributed tracing. OpenTracing allows developers of application code, OSS packages, and OSS services to instrument their own code without binding to any particular tracing vendor. The OpenTracing was created by the OSS community, including LightStep CEO and Co-Founder Ben Sigelman, and is a Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) incubating project.
OpenTracing and OpenTelemetry
OpenTracing has helped those adopting microservices and serverless more easily – and portably – instrument their software for distributed tracing. OpenCensus (a Google-founded OSS project) shared similar goals with different emphases, as well as a broader effort to standardize metrics and logging. OpenTracing and OpenCensus have merged to form OpenTelemetry, which is backwards compatible with OpenTracing.
Lightstep OpenTracing vs. Jaeger and Zipkin Tracing
With higher-fidelity data, simple workflows, and automated root cause analysis, Lightstep provides insights at scale that other platforms are unable to match. Lightstep tracing provides complete visibility and context into your system, whether you’re migrating to microservices or have a complex, multi-cloud environment.