OTel Me More: OpenTelemetry Project News – Vol 6
by Isobel Redelmeier
Big news this week, as the OpenTelemetry Specification v0.2 has been released! This milestone means that you’ll soon be able to download and start using the OpenTelemetry SDK in a variety of languages with basic export functionality. Read on to find out more, in addition to a recap of some of our favorite blog posts and upcoming talks at events like QCon San Francisco and KubeCon North America!
- Nominations have now closed for the OpenTelemetry Governance Committee; if you’re a member of standing in OpenTelemetry, make sure you check your inbox for information on voting, and submit your vote no later than October 23 (that’s tomorrow!) here.
- The OpenTelemetry Specification v0.2 has been released! Keep an eye on this repo going forward, as these milestone releases mean we’re getting closer to a GA launch!
- Want to contribute? Get started with one of these issues from opentelemetry-ruby:
- Code examples: gRPC instrumentation example #96
- Documentation: write Getting Started guide #92
- Code examples: HTTP client and server instrumentation examples #97
- How Deep Systems Broke Observability – And What We Can Do About It (blog) by Ben Sigelman
- OpenTelemetry Monthly Update: October 2019 (blog) by Morgan McLean
- OpenTelemetry 101: What are Metrics? (blog) by Austin Parker
- Getting Started with OpenTelemetry Alphas: Golang (blog) by Josh MacDonald
- [Nov 5] Observing and understanding distributed systems with OpenTelemetry – Liz Fong-Jones and Yoshi Yamaguchi, O’Reilly Velocity Conference in Berlin
- [Nov 14] Observing and Understanding Distributed Systems with OpenTelemetry — Christine Yen and Austin Parker, QCon San Francisco
- [Nov 14] The next W3C Distributed Tracing Working Group workshop, will be held in Seattle, WA.
- [Nov 18] If you’re headed to KubeCon + CloudNativeCon this November, be sure to check out the Observability Practitioners Summit on Day Zero – passes can be added when you register for KubeCon or by logging into your existing registration profile
Interested in joining our team? See our open positions here.