OTel Me More: OpenTelemetry Project News - Vol 5
by Isobel Redelmeier
This week's news includes OpenTelemetry Governance Committee Elections, a long list of upcoming talks and events, and some
help-wanted recommendations from the opentelemetry-java SDK.
- Nominations for four open seats on the OpenTelemetry Governance Committee will be open until 12pm (noon) PT on October 9—don't wait to add your nominee!
- Join the next W3C Distributed Tracing Working Group workshop, which will be held November 14-15 in Seattle, WA.
- Schedule conflicts? Going forward, recorded OpenTelemetry SIG meetings will be available on YouTube for folks who are not able to attend live.
- Want to contribute? Get started with one of these issues from opentelemetry-java:
- Move sdk_contrib/inmemory_export to exporters/inmemory #589
- Implement 0016-named-tracers.md #573
- SDK: Port the OC Zipkin exporter #534
- A Culture of Observability Helps Engineers Hit the Spot (Instance) (blog) by Travis Redman
- OpenTelemetry 101: What is Tracing? (blog) by Austin Parker
- Improve System Performance: How to Find Long-Running Operations (blog) by Robin Whitmore
- Baby steps into tracing (blog) by Abby Bangser
- [Oct 8] OpenTelemetry Tuesdays on Twitch starting at 10am PT, co-hosted by Liz Fong-Jones and Isobel Redelmeier (that's me!)
- [Oct 9] Making Your System Observable from the Outside-In, Joe Blubaugh at APIWorld
- [Oct 17] How to Apply Best Practices from Site Reliability Engineering in Your Organization Liz Fong-Jones, CTO Universe
- [Oct 21] Introduction to OpenTelemetry by Austin Parker at the Kubernetes Philly meetup
- [Nov 5] Observing and understanding distributed systems with OpenTelemetry - Liz Fong-Jones and Yoshi Yamaguchi, O'Reilly Velocity Conference in Berlin
- [Nov 14] Observing and Understanding Distributed Systems with OpenTelemetry — Christine Yen, QCon San Francisco
- [Nov 18] If you're headed to KubeCon + CloudNativeCon this November, be sure to check out the Observability Practitioners Summit on Day Zero - passes can be added when you register for KubeCon or by logging into your existing registration profile
Interested in joining our team? See our open positions here.