OTel Me More: OpenTelemetry Project News - Vol 4
by Isobel Redelmeier
This week's news includes updates on project governance, several Alpha v0.1 releases, and some
good-first-issue recommendations from the opentelemetry-ruby SDK.
OpenTelemetry Project News
- Updates to the OpenTelemetry Milestones have been published, providing more clarity about upcoming releases for each language.
- The OpenTelemetry Governance Elections are kicking off, where the community is electing four new members to fill out the board. Elections will be held October 21st to the 23rd.
- Hacktoberfest kicks off tomorrow!! This is a great opportunity for new contributors to get involved – be on the lookout for issues with the
hacktoberfestlabel appearing in OpenTelemetry repositories.
- Want to contribute? Get started with one of these issues from opentelemetry-ruby
- Implement OpenTracing compatibility shim #91
- Documentation: write Installation guide #93
- Code examples: gRPC instrumentation example #96
Awesome Articles, Resources, and Links
- Honeycomb Begins Another Chapter with a New Funding Round (blog) Christine Yen
- On-Call Me Maybe: #06 We Just Got Paged (podcast) ft. George Miranda
- Kicking off OpenTelemetry's Governance Committee Election (blog) Sergey Kanzhelev
- OpenTelemetry 101: What is Observability? (blog) Austin Parker
Upcoming Conferences, Talks, and Live Events
- [Oct 1] OpenTelemetry Tuesdays on Twitch starting at 11am PT, co-hosted by Liz Fong-Jones and Isobel Redelmeier (that's me!)
- [Oct 9] Making Your System Observable from the Outside-In, Joe Blubaugh at APIWorld
- [Oct 21] Introduction to OpenTelemetry by Austin Parker at the Kubernetes Philly meetup
- [Nov 14] Observing and Understanding Distributed Systems with OpenTelemetry — Christine Yen, Honeycomb
- [Nov 18] If you're headed to KubeCon + CloudNativeCon this November, be sure to check out the Observability Practitioners Summit on Day Zero - passes can be added when you register for KubeCon or by logging into your existing registration profile