OTel Me More: OpenTelemetry Project News – Vol 32
by Eric O'Rear
OpenTelemetry’s Java instrumentation is now in-step with OTel-Java v0.6.0, and the tracing proto is now stable. A new feature request looks for streamlining multi-tenancy support in the OpenTelemetry Collector, which could prove very interesting.
Buzz continues to build for OpenTelemetry in the cloud-native world. Elastic introduces its OpenTelemetry integration via the Elastic APM exporter, noting, “This integration continues our commitment to openness by embracing open standards support for the evolving OpenTelemetry standard for observability.” There is now an OpenTelemetry Meter Exporter for Mackerel, as well.
These OpenTelemetry SIGs are looking for extra support! Open source efforts rely on developers like you -- get involved with one of these implementations:
- OTel-Rust is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-PHP is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-C++ is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-Ruby has seen a lot of contributions, but would benefit from having more dedicated maintainers
This week’s Featured Issues:
- OpenTelemetry-Python #782: Enable API to easily start/stop span without a ContextManager
- OpenTelemetry-Python #851: Cannot wrap handler without wrap_server_method_handler
- OpenTelemetry JS plugin for aws-sdk (blog) by Amir B
- OpenTelemetry plugin for KafkaJS (blog) by Amir B
- OpenTelemetry Go project with Collector and OTLP Exporter (repo) by zeyadkhaled
- Austin Parker is hosting office hours, and so is Governance Committee member Liz Fong-Jones –– sign up for one of their sessions if you have OpenTelemetry or observability questions!
- Adding Observability To Your Python Applications With OpenTelemetry (blog) by Alex Boten and Austin Parker
- Observability of multi-party computation with OpenTelemetry is a CNCF member webinar on July 23rd at 10:00 a.m. PT
- KubeCon is officially going virtual, with dates announced for August 17-20th of this year
- Stay tuned to the OpenTelemetry Twitch channel for the weekly show ‘OpenTelemetry Tuesdays’ at 11 am PT, as well as event-specific live streams
- OTel Me More has a Gitter! Drop in and say hi. It’s the best place to reach me if you there are any OpenTelemetry events, articles or other OTel resources that you think the community should know about
- How to Start Contributing to OpenTelemetry (blog) by Austin Parker
- OpenTelemetry is an open source project with implementations in many different languages, so whether you prefer to work with Python, Go, Java, or Node (among others), find an issue and get started!
- Join the community on GitHub and the conversation on Gitter
Interested in joining our team? See our open positions here.