In this (and future) posts, you can find the latest news and updates from the OpenTelemetry project. We also plan to share information about relevant events, community activities, and awesome articles. This week’s news includes recorded talks from Strange Loop as well as some good-first-issue recommendations from the opentelemetry-go SDK.
OpenTelemetry Project News
- A major update to the opentelemetry.io website is underway, with some core content being ported from opentracing.io. Keep an eye on progress in the website repo.
- OpenTelemetry will be participating in Hacktoberfest! This is a great opportunity for new contributors to get involved — be on the lookout for issues with the
hacktoberfestlabel appearing in OpenTelemetry repositories.
- Want to contribute? Get started with one of these issues from opentelemetry-go:
- Stdout exporter for builtin trace SDK #134
- Named Tracer #127
- SDK: Create separate package for exporter interface #77
Awesome Articles, Resources, and Links
- Pure Performance: Understanding Distributed Tracing, Trace Context, OpenCensus, OpenTracing, and OpenTelemetry (podcast)
- Now Playing: Your Zipkin Traces in LightStep by David Klein
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Distributed Tracing (video) Hungai Kevin Amuhinda at Strange Loop
- Beyond Traces: the insights in trace aggregates (video) Daniela Miao at Strange Loop
Upcoming Conferences, Talks, and Live Events
- [Sept 24] OpenTelemetry Tuesdays on Twitch starting at 11am PT, co-hosted by Liz Fong-Jones and Isobel Redelmeier (that’s me!)
- [Oct 9] Making Your System Observable from the Outside-In, Joe Blubaugh at APIWorld
- [Nov 18] If you’re headed to KubeCon + CloudNativeCon this November, be sure to check out the Observability Practitioners Summit on Day Zero – passes can be added when you register for KubeCon or by logging into your existing registration profile