OTel Me More: OpenTelemetry Project News - Vol 3
by Isobel Redelmeier
This week’s news includes recorded talks from Strange Loop as well as some good-first-issue recommendations from the opentelemetry-go SDK.
- A major update to the opentelemetry.io website is underway, with some core content being ported from opentracing.io. Keep an eye on progress in the website repo.
- OpenTelemetry will be participating in Hacktoberfest! This is a great opportunity for new contributors to get involved – be on the lookout for issues with the
hacktoberfestlabel appearing in OpenTelemetry repositories.
- Want to contribute? Get started with one of these issues from opentelemetry-go:
- Stdout exporter for builtin trace SDK #134
- Named Tracer #127
- SDK: Create separate package for exporter interface #77
- Pure Performance: Understanding Distributed Tracing, Trace Context, OpenCensus, OpenTracing, and OpenTelemetry (podcast)
- Now Playing: Your Zipkin Traces in Lightstep by David Klein
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Distributed Tracing (video) Hungai Kevin Amuhinda at Strange Loop
- Beyond Traces: the insights in trace aggregates (video) Daniela Miao at Strange Loop
- [Sept 24] OpenTelemetry Tuesdays on Twitch starting at 11am PT, co-hosted by Liz Fong-Jones and Isobel Redelmeier (that's me!)
- [Oct 9] Making Your System Observable from the Outside-In, Joe Blubaugh at APIWorld
- [Nov 18] If you’re headed to KubeCon + CloudNativeCon this November, be sure to check out the Observability Practitioners Summit on Day Zero - passes can be added when you register for KubeCon or by logging into your existing registration profile
Interested in joining our team? See our open positions here.