OTel Me More: OpenTelemetry Project News – Vol 23
by Eric O'Rear
Microsoft Azure announces codeless Java application monitoring with their Application Insights SDK. The Azure team’s goal with Java Application Insights 3.0+ is to allow their customers to send custom telemetry using standard APIs such as OpenTelemetry.
These OpenTelemetry SIGs are looking for extra support! Open source efforts rely on developers like you -- get involved with one of these implementations:
- OTel-Rust is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-PHP is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-C++ is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-Ruby has seen a lot of contributions, but would benefit from having more dedicated maintainers
This week’s Featured Issues:
- OpenTelemetry-PHP #12: Alpha 0.2 Propagators Requirement - API
- OpenTelemetry-PHP #73: Replace current time implementation with hrtime
- OpenTelemetry steps up to manage the mayhem of microservices (blog) by Joab Jackson
- Show Me Your Code (stream) by @GianArb
- OpenTelemetry and Ruby (stream) by @martinisoft
- Lightstep updates OpenTelemetry Java installation guide (guide) by Lightstep
- The Case for Human-Centric Observability with Austin Parker (video)
- You can now use OpenTelemetry with Go and Node.js to instrument your applications running on GKE and Compute Engine (release notes)
- Deserted Island DevOps: The Greatest Minds in DevOps...in Animal Crossing! Join Lightstep’s Austin Parker and Katy Farmer on April 30th for a free one-day event celebrating DevOps and Animal Crossing, streaming live on twitch.tv!
- Stay tuned to the OpenTelemetry Twitch channel for the weekly show ‘OpenTelemetry Tuesdays’ and event-specific livestreams
- How to Start Contributing to OpenTelemetry (blog) by Austin Parker
- OpenTelemetry is an open source project with implementations in many different languages, so whether you prefer to work with Python, Go, Java, or Node (among others), find an issue and get started!
- Join the community on GitHub and the conversation on Gitter
Interested in joining our team? See our open positions here.