OTel Me More: OpenTelemetry Project News – Vol 19
by Eric O'Rear
OpenTelemetry Project News
As more implementations reach beta, the OpenTelemetry engineers are expanding the scope of the project to include metrics and logs, critical data for observability tools and OTel users. Check the community calendar for the Metrics and Logs SIGs’ meeting schedules.
A new Docker image of the Collector-contrib, including Honeycomb and Lightstep exporters, was released. Check the release notes for more details.
These OpenTelemetry SIGs are looking for extra support! Open source efforts rely on developers like you – get involved with one of these implementations:
- OTel-Rust is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-PHP is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-C++ is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-Ruby has seen a lot of contributions, but would benefit from having more dedicated maintainers
This week’s Featured Issues:
- OpenTelemetry-Ruby #96: Code examples: gRPC instrumentation example
- OpenTelemetry-Ruby #109: API: metadata helpers for semantic conventions
Awesome Articles, Resources, and Links
- The Joy Of Building Enterprise Software with Ben SIgelman (podcast) by Corey Quinn
- Enabling distributed tracing with the Azure SDK for Python (blog) by Adrian Hall
- Navigating Microservices with OpenTelemetry (blog) by Austin Parker
- OpenTelemetry: New Honeycomb Exporters (blog) by Paul Osman
- What Your observability Software Should Deliver (blog) by Eric O’Rear
Upcoming Conferences, Talks, and Live Events
- Cloud Native Virtual Summit featuring Kubernetes will be LIVE on April 1st, and available on demand April 2nd. The event is free, with a suggested donation. 100% of all proceeds will be donated to a qualified charitable organisation helping battle the spread of COVID-19. Our own Austin Parker will be leading a session.
- Lightstep DevRel Katy Farmer will MC the San Francisco portion of Virtual Rejekts on April 1st. Virtual Rejekts is trying a new approach and will be following the sun from India to the United States via Europe. Their goal is to replicate — as far as possible — the relaxed, fun atmosphere for which the in-person Cloud Native Rejekts events are known.
- Observe 20/20, is now a one-day VIRTUAL technology conference taking place on April 6th. Observe2020 focused on empowering DevOps practitioners with solutions that improve observability over systems and processes
- Stay tuned to the OpenTelemetry Twitch channel for the weekly show ‘OpenTelemetry Tuesdays’ and event-specific livestreams
Want to Contribute?
- How to Start Contributing to OpenTelemetry (blog) by Austin Parker
- OpenTelemetry is an open source project with implementations in many different languages, so whether you prefer to work with Python, Go, Java, or Node (among others, find an issue and get started!
- Join the community on GitHub and the conversation on Gitter