OTel Me More: OpenTelemetry Project News – Vol 18
by Eric O'Rear
OpenTelemetry Project News
Another big announcement last week: Observe2020 is now officially a virtual event –– more details below!
These OpenTelemetry SIGs are looking for extra support! Open source efforts rely on developers like you – get involved with one of these implementations:
- OTel-Rust is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-PHP is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-C++ is looking for contributors and maintainers
- OTel-Ruby has seen a lot of contributions, but would benefit from having more dedicated maintainers
This week’s Featured Issues:
- OpenTelemetry-Ruby #96: Code examples: gRPC instrumentation example
- OpenTelemetry-Ruby #109: API: metadata helpers for semantic conventions
Awesome Articles, Resources, and Links
- Instrument a Kubernetes pprof collector with OpenTelemetry (stream) by @GianArb
- What is OpenTelemetry and What Does it Bring? (blog) by Emrah Samdan
- When and How to Move to Microservices (blog) by Daniel “Spoons”
Upcoming Conferences, Talks, and Live Events
- Observe 20/20, is now a one-day, VIRTUAL technology conference taking place on April 6th. Observe2020 focused on empowering DevOps practitioners with solutions that improve observability over systems and processes
- Kubecon EU has been postponed due to COVID-19. We will share more information as it becomes available.
- Stay tuned to the OpenTelemetry Twitch channel for the weekly show ‘OpenTelemetry Tuesdays’ and event-specific livestreams
Want to Contribute?
- How to Start Contributing to OpenTelemetry (blog) by Austin Parker
- OpenTelemetry is an open source project with implementations in many different languages, so whether you prefer to work with Python, Go, Java, or Node(among others), find an issue and get started!
- Join the community on GitHub and the conversation on Gitter