OTel Me More: OpenTelemetry Project News - Vol 1
by Isobel Redelmeier
OpenTelemetry Project News
- Project contributors have been hard at work on the OpenTelemetry cross-language specification, with less than a month remaining until several upcoming launches:
- As of September 1, an initial working version of compatibility between OpenTelemetry and the OpenTracing/OpenCensus projects is available.
- The Tracing API also saw an Alpha release on September 1; feedback on further design and development is much appreciated!
- With Tracing now in Alpha, the Metrics and Context APIs are targeted for a September 15th Alpha release.
- New contributors are always welcome! Check out the Contributor Guide to get started.
Awesome Articles, Resources, and Links
- Notes from Observability Roundtables: Capabilities deep-dive by Peter Tuhtan
- A Brief History of the Span: Hard to Love, Hard to Kill by Ben Sigelman
- If you're headed to KubeCon + CloudNativeCon this November, be sure to check out the Observability Practitioners Summit on Day Zero; passes can be added when you register for KubeCon or by logging into your existing registration profile
- Tune in to OpenTelemetry Tuesdays on Twitch each week starting at 10am PT, co-hosted by me and Liz Fong-Jones
Isobel RedelmeierOSS Engineer
Isobel Redelmeier is an Open Source Engineer at LightStep, where she focuses on OpenTracing and the overall goal of making the software world more observable. Ask her about observability, security, testing, or, frankly, most other software-related topics, and she'll probably have an opinion or three!