Work with us
We believe that building an inclusive and diverse team is the best way to build a healthy company.
We put great stock in our safe and communicative working environment, and our culture is built around mutual respect, autonomy, and long-term learning and development.
At LightStep, we’re building a transformative new product for tracking and understanding application behavior and performance. As we add new capabilities and scale out our technology, we need to grow our creative, curious, low-ego engineering team! You’ll be joining us in San Francisco and working on a sophisticated distributed system that collects, manages, analyses, and presents high-fidelity data from our customers’ applications.
You'd be a great fit if...
- you’re excited to be part of the core group that sets the quality standard for time to come
- you enjoy digging deep into fundamentally hard CS and engineering problems
- you’re motivated by both open-ended challenges and practical it-just-needs-to-get-done code: whatever has the most impact
- you’re eager to learn from your teammates and have something to teach them as well
- you may have a particular area of expertise, but think of yourself as a generalist who likes to challenge yourself in new areas (and wants to work with a team that encourages you to do so)
- you’ve worked on (and/or have a lot of curiosity about) large-scale distributed systems and microservice-based architectures
- you’ve got a background in (and/or have a lot of curiosity about) large-scale system performance and/or security
- you have experience outside of engineering: marketing, sales, design, etc.
- you contribute to open source projects and/or do community-building work
The OpenTracing project defines a standard that makes understanding, building, and improving distributed systems easier. In doing so, it improves the quality of open source tools and applications across the board. LightStep wants to support that goal. We’re looking for a teammate who is knowledgeable about popular open source technologies and best practices, eager to be an expert on distributed systems performance, and can lend a hand as a teacher, communicator, and open source code contributor to help move the OpenTracing community forward.
You'd be a great fit if...
- you’re passionate about participating in the open source community as part of your day job
- you’re a good teacher when it comes to engineering: both plain-English descriptions of complex technical topics as well as illustrative code snippets come easily to you
- you’re capable of being opinionated and friendly at the same time
- you’re a great engineer too: you want to make contributions to the open source community, not just describe them!
- you’ll be our customers’ champion as well: advocate product and engineering changes that reflect the needs of the broader community
- you’re already an active participant in the open source community
- you enjoy working across the breadth of technologies from frameworks to programming languages
- you have experience working on distributed systems performance at scale
- you’ve worked in customer-facing engineering roles before (e.g. field engineer, support engineer)
Creative, Curious, Talented Individual
We're always looking for incredible people who can add to our team. Get in touch and let us know what fires you up about LightStep and how you think you can make it even better.